Put simply a caretaker or keeper is a person that has the responsibility of the maintenance of the property, buildings, and the smooth running of an estate, especially when done in the absence of the owner. This includes making sure the heating/cooling system is working, painting, gardening, plumbing, carpentry, car maintenance, cleaning, portering goods, moving furniture, doing repairs, ordering materials, and charge of maintenance equipment. A caretaker may be asked to assist with heavy cleaning duties within the house, and may also be responsible for caring for animals or performing regular errands during their trips away.
What I did
These duties include:
- Overseeing the operation and maintenance of the estate and its multiple residences
- Maintaining daily operation of the household
- Ensure proper care and cleaning of the estate and its outlets. Maintenance of the driveway, pathways, patio and outdoor living spaces. Including scheduled care of formal gardens ( ensuring irrigation and lighting is working, mowing, planting and landscaping), the pool, spa and gazebo area
- Managing the calendar
- Organizing and running large events and parties
- Booking travel arrangements
- Maintaining household security
- Managing designated improvement and renovation projects
When the owners are "on property"
- Provide multiple meals that are custom designed for the owners' particular requests and requirements. These meals are cooked fresh or packaged and stored, so that they may eat them at their leisure in the future. Preparation of the meals requires a knowledge of wine and food. Including the planning of menus within a weekly authorized budget for the menu, the purchase and stock of refrigerators and pantry to ensure freshness and likes of the owners and their guests
- Organizing and running large events and parties. Coordination or preparing for events at the primary residence as well as arrange catering to the other properties if requested. Set, Serve and Clean up as appropriate for the number of persons and have the ability to supervise other staff when needed.
- Maintaining the wine cellars with inventories of estate produced and additional domestically wines. Demonstrating a solid understanding of wine and food pairing, setting and serving of meals and drinks
- The preparation for and receiving of guests using presentation skills that can be adapted to the level of formality of the event
- Performing valet duties for the owner at home and while traveling; running household and/or personal errands for the owner or guests
- Scheduling and managing service vendors