BENZOIN (STRYAX BENZOIN)
* Benzoin is found in Thailand, Java and
Sumatra. Resin is taken out of the tree
manually, as it does not flow out
naturally as it does out of our Maples.
It smells like vanilla and is sweet and
pleasant. It is a base note.
* Triangular slashes are made into the
bark to make the sap ooze out. The resin
is then pressed into a solid mass and
melted over water before it can be used.
* Some benzoin can be purchased with
ethyl glycol added to make it easier to
* Most of it is resin alone. Others are
vanillin (aldehyde – thus the aroma),
benzyl benzoate (ester), benzoic acid,
cinnamic acid, benzoic aldehyde, phenyl,
and ethylene and phenyl propylic
* Useful for any type of skin condition
– dryness, cracked skin, chapped hands,
skin lesions, wounds, redness etc. also
an excellent oil for eczema and
* Stress, depression, sadness,
* Eases general aches and pains.
* Asthma, coughs colds, sore throat and
* Cystitis, venereal diseases and sexual
difficulties such as premature
* May be helpful for diabetics in
helping to control blood sugar levels.
* Cordially, deodorant
* May cause drowsiness – be careful if
using when there is a need to be alert
such as driving or operating other
* Do a skin test first to check for
possible allergic reactions.